Catering & Events Intern, Chartwells Higher Ed/Eastern Michigan University
- We are hiring immediately for a Catering & Events Intern position.
- Location: 900 Oakwood St. Ypsilanti, MI Note: online applications accepted only.
- Schedule: Based around class schedule; More information at the time of interview.
- Starting pay: $13 per hour
We Make Applying Easy! Want to apply to this job via text messaging? Text JOB to 75000 and search requisition ID number 1111891.
The advertised program is an AI recruiting assistant that helps you apply to jobs with Compass Group. Message frequency varies. Message and data rates may apply. Text STOP to opt out or HELP for help. Terms and conditions: http://olivia.paradox.ai/moSkg
At over 300 colleges and universities around the country, Chartwells Higher Education is re-inventing the on-campus dining experience. We are challenging the norm and setting new standards by investing in high-tech, food-infused social spaces that bring people together to promote meaningful relationships and interactions. We are food-forward difference makers, bound together by a desire to feed hungry minds and prepare students for success.
We are seeking hungry, humble and smart associates who are looking to join and grow with a diverse organization. We invite you to start your career journey with us and look forward to hearing from you.
The Catering Intern will work closely with the Senior Catering Manager at Eastern Michigan University to learn the intricacies of catering from both a sales and operations standpoint. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work directly with catering clients to coordinate the details of their events including but not limited to menu selections, tastings, linen rental, set up, and floral design. Additionally, in this role you will learn how to properly set up and execute events following the specific timeline and guidelines for each event. In order to thrive in this position, you must be able to provide great customer service to clients and guests, have a keen eye for attention to detail, be organized and have the ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment.
Qualifications for Catering/Event Planning Internship:
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
• Customer service experience/knowledge
• Must be undergraduate student
• Availability to work evenings and weekends, if needed
• Enjoy building relationships
• Professional attitude and appearance
• Ability to operate multiple computer programs and office equipment
• Experience working with MAC’s and PC’s
Interest in one or more of the following:
• Farm to Fork
• Quality Assurance
• Current Catering Trends
• Menu Development
• Contract Food Service Management
Job Responsibilities (May include any or all):
• Aid in planning and organizing events
• Assist with set up and break down of events, when needed
• Complete safety training for proper lifting techniques
• Assist the culinary team in developing custom menus for events
• Work closely with vendor partners (I.E: rentals, florists, bakeries, etc.) in arranging services
• Assist in staff scheduling
• Marketing catering services both on and off campus
• Assist with inventory management
• Aid in staff training on catering standards
• Assist in keeping staff motivated to provide the highest standard of service
• Demonstrate awareness, understanding and skills necessary to work in a diverse environment.
• Experience opportunities to learn, observe, and practice a variety of experiences in the world of hospitality.
• Sales: Spend time cultivating outside sales with director of catering, looking for new opportunities and venues.
• Process: Understanding the process of event planning from the initial contact with the client and the steps that are taken to execute the event.
• Booking: Providing prices and fees; tailoring the event to any special needs or wants.
• Communication: Communicating the expectations and meeting the goals, keeping on the same page.
• Negotiation: This will enable the intern to undergo the contract portion of the event, fine tuning the details of the event; the blue print.
• Contracts: Discussing the terms of the contract, the services being provided, solidifying dates and deadlines, necessary staffing, policies of the event/cancelations, parking, etc.
• Closing: Examining the financials, collecting payment, menu costing etc...
• Follow Up: This will enable the planner to understand what the strengths were from the event and anything necessary for improvement; Keeps an ongoing relationship with the client(s).
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance).