Culinary Intern (August '22), FISD / MICDS / St. Louis, MO
Position Title: Culinary Intern (August '22), FISD / MICDS / St. Louis, MO. We are looking for an intern to start in August!
Flik Independent School Dining has been the innovator of private and independent school foodservice to 220 communities during the past four decades. Our dedicated team of associates are committed to providing quality foodservice every time. Meals prepared from fresh ingredients support local and sustainable agricultural practices. We go above and beyond foodservice by offering nutrition education programs that empower students to make healthy choices on a daily basis. By providing wholesome meals in conjunction with nutrition education, we’re equipping students with the tools needed to live a happy, healthy life. That’s Nourishing a Brighter Future!
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Bonus! If you know someone that is qualified for this role, please use the ‘job search’ in MyOpportunity to refer your referral and email them a link to apply. Your referral will be able to apply by clicking the link in the email then you can check the status under Careers in MyOpportunity by clicking on ‘referral tracking.’ For Employee Referral guidelines, FAQs and the Compass Employee Referral Policy, email MyReferral@compass-usa.com. Click here to view the step-by-step instructions to refer a friend to this position.
OVERVIEW: The FLIK Culinary Internship Program is a paid program that gives culinary students the opportunity to work in a dynamic and inspirational kitchen culture. Working closely with culinary mentors, FLIK interns have an inside look at what goes on behind the scenes at a leading food service & hospitality organization. Fifty years ago FLIK was launched by Chef Rudi Flik and Julie Flik. Their values of culinary authenticity, people first, sustainability, wellness, and leadership still guide us. We use fresh, local and seasonal ingredients to create memorable culinary experiences.
FLIK CULINARY INTERNS WILL:
- benefit from on the job training and mentoring in their field of study & selected functional area;
- participate in professional development events and workshops during their time here;
- build professional relationships and enhance their interpersonal and professional skills.
- network with FLIK’s resource groups including DIAC (Diversity & Inclusion Action Council) and Entrepreneurial Council.
Interns should expect to contribute individually and as a team member to support Culinary Services and work towards goals and objectives assigned by an experienced manager.
Culinary Internship candidates must meet the criteria below to be eligible for the FLIK Culinary Internship Experience Program:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a college or professional culinary program and provide appropriate documentation.
- Meet university’s GPA requirement for Internship
- Successful completion of sanitation standards training
- Successful completion of relevant knife skills and/or Intro to Culinary coursework
- Must be available to work 20 - 40 hours a week based on business needs & internship requirements
- College credit is not required, but we will provide appropriate documentation if necessary.
CULINARY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM 12 WEEK SCHEDULE:
In addition to daily on-the-job FLIK culinary training, Interns will participate in a variety of value-added program events via LMS/WebEx/Zoom/Teams during the internship experience which include meetings with Leadership/Mentor.
- Virtual Feed Your Mind with Subject Matter Experts including Diversity & Inclusion, HR, Marketing, Safety, Wellness and Finance.
- FLIK Learning & Development Courses
- Networking Opportunities
- Exit interview with Leadership & Internship Team
*This schedule can be extended on an as-needed to accommodate each program’s hours requirements.
** Feed Your Mind sessions will be with Diversity & Inclusion, HR, Marketing, Safety, Wellness and Finance
As an intern, you will be working closely with Compass Group leaders to develop skills and competencies to be successful in your prospective industry. You will gain valuable experience in any of the following areas: operations, marketing, administration, guest services, problem solving, planning and implementation of innovative projects, and client relationship skills. This internship involves hands-on experiences which will provide opportunities for your personal success and development. This position is paid, but not eligible for benefits such as medical, relocation, or housing.
Compass Group Intern Requirements:
- Must be enrolled in a college/university or technical program to receive college credit
- Possess an interest in learning, observing, and practicing a variety of experiences in our industry
- Demonstrate awareness, understanding, and skills necessary to work in a diverse environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Articulate, with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Solid project management acumen
- Self-directed, proactive, and curious
- Flexible and adaptable
- Attitude of a leader
- Enjoyment of building relationships
Apply to Flik today!
Flik Independent School Dining is a member of Compass Group USA
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance)