Director of Retail Dining
Our Passion is Food!
At Bon Appetit Management Company we are committed to two things, great food and outstanding service! At Bon Appetit you won't find our managers referring to a corporate recipe book or our chefs microwaving the lunch special. We do not have standardized recipes or central commissaries, instead, our chefs and managers are expected to stay abreast of current culinary trends and bring cutting edge food into their cafes. We are a restaurant company that operates in contract food service. That means you will have the freedom to be creative, take risks, and truly shine. We are committed to our staff growing, trying new things, and learning all that they can. Our rapid growth and breadth of accounts translates into exciting opportunities for our people!
Positions at this location require proof of COVID-19 vaccination, boosters, and/or regular COVID testing. Where permitted by law, applicants who are offered a position for this location may be asked about their vaccination status, which must meet minimum business requirements. All religious, medical, or other legally recognized exemptions regarding vaccination status will be considered.
The Director of Retail Dining participates on a campus-based management team, provides overall planning, direction, evaluation, and control of units, achieving operational and financial goals for a $15,000,000 department, serving 20,000 customers across 5 café locations weekly. The Director of Retail Dining provides guidance and motivation to Director and Chefs, as well as other Managers and associates. The role also is instrumental in establishing and maintaining effective customer/client rapport.
Working as Director of Retail Dining, you will be responsible for assisting in the overall success of the retail foodservice operation for a corporate dining account at University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. You will manage a team of employees, and you will be responsible for talent development, managing client relationships, profitability, and supporting financial goals. Additionally, you will be responsible for the following:
* Maintain excellent relationships with customers, guests, and client as well as other departments
* Work with the Chef and management team in creating menus and providing top quality food
* Oversee all P&L and budgeting as it pertains to the account
* Roll out new customer service and culinary programs in conjunction with Bon Appetit marketing and culinary team
* Oversees quality control, employee safety and health department compliance for all retail cafes.
* Attends committee meetings to understand the needs of the client
* Ensures consistent fair and timely administration of company policies
* Works closely with Hiring manager to ensure proper staffing, training and retention efforts
* Manages planning, budget analysis and reporting
* Plans and supervises special functions, maintains cash controls, payroll records, and oversees the hiring and training of our hourly team members
* Implements, maintains excellence customer service standards both for internal and external customers; has excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills
* Leads change with a focus on continuous improvement. This includes developing, leveraging applicable metrics
* Directs and trains staff to provide scheduled retail services in accordance with corporate policies and presentation standards
* Partners with Director of Operations and RDM to maintain professional client relationships
* Develop, retain talent to grow business
* Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications for success:
* Bachelor's degree and or four year culinary degree required
* 5 years minimum of experience managing high volume, multiple retail units required
* Five years of progressive experience in food service management, required
* Is well versed in all aspects of foodservice management, with a proven track record of success
* High volume production and catering experience is highly preferred
* A track record of successfully managing budgets to meet financial goals is a must
* Strong desire to learn and grow with a leading foodservice company
* Contract Management Experience required
* Experience in higher education food service highly preferred
* Experience in large, multi-unit, managed volume food service operations
* Experience in P&L management and budgeting
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills underscoring management flexibility, adaptability
* Consistently demonstrates resiliency and ability to effectively lead others to manage change & meet tight deadlines
* Track record with implementing and leading change
* Ability to identify, develop and retain talent
* Possesses strong strategic thinking skills, with an emphasis on delivering and measuring action plans
* Is proactive and positive; interacts professionally with a diverse group of associates, peers, managers, suppliers, clients, and customers
* Demonstrates initiative and good judgment in assisting customers, clients, peers, and subordinates
* Has the ability to think quickly and accurately, be able to evaluate problems and make appropriate recommendations to person(s) involved
* Union experience, preferred
* Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
Apply to Bon Appetit today!
Bon Appetit is a member of Compass Group USA.
Associates at Bon Appetit are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance)
Req ID: 1094053