DISTRICT CHEF - Higher Education - Washington, DC
Other Forms of Compensation: 15% annual bonus and $5,000 sign on bonus
Sign-On Bonus: $5,000
At over 300 college & universities around the country, Chartwells Higher Education is re-inventing the on-campus dining experience. We are challenging the norm and setting new standards by investing in high-tech, food-infused social spaces that bring people together to promote meaningful relationships and interactions. We are food-forward difference makers, bound together by a desire to feed hungry minds and prepare students for success.
We are seeking hungry, humble and smart associates who are looking to join and grow with a diverse organization. We invite you to start your career journey with us and look forward to hearing from you.
Working as a District Chef for Chartwells in Washington DC, you are responsible for overseeing all culinary functions for multiple dining locations and accounts. You will support a team of associates and oversee all safety and sanitation as it pertains to the locations you oversee. You will lead culinary operations by implementing your leadership skills in the hospitality industry through the vision and values of both the organization and our campus leadership. Your success in this role will be driven by managing an efficient, safe and sanitary food production system, and leading by example. You will be responsible for assisting our campus dining programs with menu development, inventory, purchasing, food cost controls and staff management and development of new programming.
- Supports multiple dining locations
- Teaches, trains and mentors chefs and front line associates
- Responsible for driving culinary innovation
- Helps chefs manage cost controls and control expenditures within the district
- Trains, develops and provides inspirational leadership to the local culinary team
- Provides culinary project management leadership
- Teaches Chefs how to plan and create all menus
- Shows chefs in the district how to purchases and manage inventory
- Will bring up the skill level of chefs and front line associates
- Rolls out new culinary programs in conjunction with Company marketing and culinary team
- Develops and communicates strategies for improving customer experience
- Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures as evidenced through local health department and third-party audits
- Analyzes ongoing performance and trends in the local operation and works with the team to devise and lead improvements
- This position must have a current Serv Safe Certificate
- A minimum of five years of progressive culinary or kitchen management experience with multi-serviced and complex dining locations required
- Culinary degree preferred but not required
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment while meeting established deadlines and goals
- Understanding of cost controls and menu development
- Self-starting leadership skills and desire to work with an industry leader
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Proficient computer skills is required (Microsoft Office 365, Email and the Internet)
Apply to Chartwells Higher Education today!
Chartwells Higher Education is a member of Compass Group USA
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history (including relevant driving history), in a manner consistent with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York Fair Chance Act. We encourage applicants with a criminal history (and driving history) to apply.
Chartwells Higher Ed maintains a drug-free workplace.
Associates at Chartwells Higher Ed are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Req ID: 1226594