SENIOR DIR, CULINARY OPERATIONS
Our Passion is Food!
At Bon Appetit Management Company we are committed to two things, great food and outstanding service! At Bon Appetit you won't find our managers referring to a corporate recipe book or our chefs microwaving the lunch special. We do not have standardized recipes or central commissaries, instead, our chefs and managers are expected to stay abreast of current culinary trends and bring cutting edge food into their cafes. We are a restaurant company that operates in contract food service. That means you will have the freedom to be creative, take risks, and truly shine. We are committed to our staff growing, trying new things, and learning all that they can. Our rapid growth and breadth of accounts translates into exciting opportunities for our people!
Working as the Senior Director of Culinary Development you will be responsible for the research, testing, development, documenting, training, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and making necessary adjustments to innovative new dishes, concepts and/or food programs.
- Serves as Department Head to provide leadership and set standards of culinary excellence
- Inspire the programs multi- and single-unit culinary and operational leaders
- Works with Account leadership in planning, implementing and supporting new food concepts or programs at their locations
- Develops and mentors senior chefs within the account
- Creates training opportunities for chefs and managers through manufacturer and vendor resources and sharing / promoting internal best practices
- Stays current with market trends and customer demands
- Menus development for daily offerings, seasonal or limited time specials, daily and special event catering for a wide variety of locations and applications
- Lead food tastings across the account with a focus on flavor and safety
- Works with food manufacturers and vendors to select best product / value for needs
- Ensures that food products and handling procedures adhere to local, state and federal regulations
- Contributes expertise in kitchen and servery design and / or remodeling projects
- Leads culinary teams in planning, training, set-up and opening new and / or remodeled locations
- Collaborate with other departments such as Purchasing, Marketing and Strategic Operations on special projects and Account initiatives
- Partner and help lead sustainability initiatives throughout account locations
- Updates senior management, supervisory managers and account management teams on industry trends and new food programs
- Cultivates a culture of continuous improvement and proactive, forward thinkers, who learn from the past - launch and iterate where appropriate
- Degree in Culinary Arts or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of five to seven years of progressive culinary experience in high volume, complex service and catering operations
- Knowledge of budgets, food and labor costs, inventory controls
- Comprehensive knowledge of international cuisines and catering trends
- Thorough understanding of food equipment and safety standards
- Strong organizational, leadership, coaching and training skills
- Experience leading in a Union environment
- Multi-unit cafe, restaurant, stadium or hotel experience a must
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and work demands
- Ability to work in a cross-functional, complex and matrixed environment
- Strong computer skills; including Google suite, recipe management and nutrition programs
Apply to Bon Appetit today!
Bon Appetit is a member of Compass Group USA.
Associates at Bon Appetit are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance)