At over 300 college & universities around the country, Chartwells Higher Education is re-inventing the on-campus dining experience. We are challenging the norm and setting new standards by investing in high-tech, food-infused social spaces that bring people together to promote meaningful relationships and interactions. We are food-forward difference makers, bound together by a desire to feed hungry minds and prepare students for success.
We are seeking hungry, humble and smart associates who are looking to join and grow with a diverse organization. We invite you to start your career journey with us and look forward to hearing from you.
Texas State University located in San Marcos, TX is seeking innovative individuals with culinary and supervisory experience for their Sous Chef opening. This is a salaried position! We are looking for a Sous Chef to supervise a high volume retail dining program on campus. As the Sous Chef, you will assist our Executive Chef with daily tasks and will contribute to the direction, preparation, and cooking of various food items. You will oversee hourly associates and will contribute to menu development and inventory/ordering. We want to facilitate your growth as a professional in culinary arts, and at Chartwell’s, you will find growth opportunities to be endless.
We offer long-term growth with a stable market leader, and a full benefits package. Our benefits package includes the best-in-class health, vision, dental plans along with 401K matching, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Programs including wellness and legal support. We also offer paid time off and paid holidays.
- Assists with managing cost controls and control expenditures for the account
- Assists with planning and creating menus
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day activities of subordinates and assigns responsibility for specific work activities
- Provides continuous training and development to hourly associates
- Rolls out new culinary programs in conjunction with Company marketing and culinary team
- Assists in ensuring a safe work environment for all employees
- Follows all HACCP policies and procedures
- Ensures closing procedures are completed and accurate
- A.S. or equivalent experience
- Progressive culinary/kitchen management experience
- High volume, complex foodservice operations experience - highly desirable
- Institutional and batch cooking experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of food trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Must be experienced with computers; to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Power Point), Outlook, E-mail and the Internet
- Must be willing to participate in client satisfaction programs/activities
- ServSafe certified
Apply to Chartwells Higher Education today!
Chartwells Higher Education is a member of Compass Group USA
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history (including relevant driving history), in a manner consistent with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York Fair Chance Act. We encourage applicants with a criminal history (and driving history) to apply.
Chartwells Higher Ed maintains a drug-free workplace.
Associates at Chartwells Higher Ed are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Req ID: 1214036